Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

White Bush Scallop Squash - Freezing for a snowy day.

White Bush Scallop Squash - aka "Patty Pan" - is an antique variety squash that is white in color, and mild in taste.  This squash is extremely versatile, as it can be treated like a summer or winter squash.  You can use it the same way as a zucchini, or an acorn.  It can be grilled, mashed, sauteed, stuffed, baked, roasted, broiled, etc.
White Bush Scalloped Squash

The nice thing about this squash, is that it can be frozen and then used in different dishes throughout the winter.    I grow these guys in my garden, and they will produce for two or more months, 1 - 2 at a time, so you never seem overwhelmed with them.  These two I have decided to freeze and use later.

The first thing I do is wash and peel them.  These guys can have a very thin skin, or a slightly hard skin, it just depends on the time on the vine.  One here is thin enough that it could be peeled like a zucchini, but the other one needs a knife.  Because of the scallops and the curves, I usually use a paring knife, and do so carefully.
Once it is peeled, I half it and scoop out the seeds.
Peeled and Seeded

Once the squash is peeled and seeded, I decide if I want to cube it for saute, or thick slice it for roasting.  I decided to cube it for saute, because that is Robert's favorite way to cook it.
Cubed White Bush Scallop Squash

With this batch, I split it in two, and packed them into two vacuum freezer bags.  Since I also bought 12 ears of corn at the Farmer's Market, and Robert grilled them, I decided to do the squash at the same time as the corn.  If you want to do  corn, please see my post on Grilled Corn - Making it and Freezing it.
Corn and Squash in Vacuum Bags

After sealing the bags, I label them, and then freeze them for a later date.  For more on freezing, check out my post Freezing your Produce, and if you have any questions, please comment and I will do my best to answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment