Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Southfield Farmer's Market- a Gem in the city!

Today I was running errands, including fitting and taking home my M.O.H. dress, when I drove through Southfield and saw signs for the Farmer's Market.  I had seen signs before, but I stopped today because they are open until 7:00 pm, and I was not going to be able to make my normal rounds up by my house.  I am glad I stopped, because I have found yet another Market that provides a large variety of produce and some great farmers to talk to.  I do have to point out one farm, Sharkar Farm, from China MI, because I was born in China, and though I lived most of my life outside of Michigan, my Dad retired and lived in Marine City.  The Gentlemen in the booth were very nice, and I was able to talk to them about their beautiful heirloom tomatoes and their trek on getting the Organic Certifications.  It can take a farm several years, and lots of money to get those certifications, so sometimes it is best to talk to the farmer, and find out how they grow their produce, instead of just relying on signs.  Many of these vendors work hard to provide the best produce for their family and yours.

Many people are a little wary about buying heirloom tomatoes because they are not the prettiest in the bunch, but as the gentleman at Sharkar Farms will tell you, those weird rings around the tops are not from bugs, but from the sheer awesomeness bursting out of the delicate skins.  I knew this already, that heirlooms are more likely to grow faster than their skins, and get tomato stretch marks, but the taste from an heirloom can not be beat.  Here is a picture of my tomatoes, and I can guarantee there are no bugs in my garden!
My tomato haul for 1 day - all heirlooms!

The Market had several vendors, and the produce vendors had great variety.  There was also a baker from Livonia and a honey seller, also from Livonia. The other farmers were also very pleasant, but I did not get a chance to get names.  Anyway, all the vendors were as great as Sharkar Farms!

I picked up quite a lot, including a loaf of fresh sourdough bread, a huge basket of raspberries for fruit roll-ups, red skin potatoes for dried potatoes, heirloom tomatoes for canning sauce, onions and garlic for flavoring my sauces, and the first of Michigan's awesome apples for apple chips.  I wanted to buy some of the Cherry Blossom Honey, but I seriously have 5 jars open and going in the cupboard right now.  I also picked up a free Southfield Farmer's Market bag for spending $15.00.  I actually spent $20.00, which is a great price for all the produce I brought home!
All this and bread too!

Stay tuned for all the projects listed above, and if you are in the Southfield area on Thursdays, 3:00 - 7:00 pm, stop by and support some great farmers.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - I can't believe how many heirlooms you brought in on just one day!

    ReplyDelete