Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Why a blog?

I am going to be doing a presentation at the Wyandotte Farmer's Market on September 15th, 2011.  The presentation is about preserving fresh food from your garden, and produce that you can find at local Farmer's Markets.  I decided to start keeping a blog so that people can get information and recipes for preserving their own bounty.
I have been growing my family's food in the backyard for a few years now, and became interested in food preservation while working at Firestone Farm, which is an historical farm at The Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village.  Though I love the recipes that come out of cookbooks of centuries past, I have been working with new recipes too.  I like to use many different methods to preserve food, and I will share them here as my garden produces over the summer.  I will hopefully be canning, (both hot-water bath canning and pressure canning) freezing, drying and pickling.
Right now, it looks like beets may be the first thing on my long list of items to preserve, but I may decide to let them get a wee bigger, and start drying my herbs.  I have a huge batch of oregano, basil, chives, cilantro, thyme, sage, rosemary, and lavender.
As this is my first time recording my endeavors, please have patience!  If you have any questions, please let me know in the comments for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment